|Address:||125 Dysart Road|
|Use:||Classrooms and laboratories|
|Tours:||Part of the QR Code Tour|
The Department of Geology and Mineralogy at the University of Manitoba was established in 1910 with the appointment of R.C. Wallace as Head. Similar to other departments, there were many locations throughout its history. As the activities and area of research grew, so did the need for larger, more complex laboratories and specialised research space. On October 26, 1986 the new building was officially opened and named after R.C. Wallace, the first head of the Department of Geology and Mineralogy. Coinciding with the opening, the Department’s name was changed to the Department of Geological Sciences.
The choice of IKOY to design the Wallace Building resulted in a major change in architectural style on the campus. IKOY’s design philosophy embraced prefabricated construction and the use of industrialised building components. he exposed structural, electrical and mechanical systems of this contemporary structure make it a uniquely identifiable campus building. Of particular note is the 18 foot wide and full-height “street” which runs through the building.
Structural precast concrete columns, set on piles, have integrated haunches that support the precast concrete beams spanning between them. Twelve inch thick hollow core concrete planks, that are visible from the interior and exterior, cantilever into the central atrium and create an upper level walkway. The hollow core planks also serve as conduits for air distribution duct work. Other mechanical systems are brightly colored and easily identifiable. The curtain wall envelope allows the structural elements to be expressed as clearly from the outside as the inside.
The facility accommodates a wide variety of laboratories for the teaching of geological sciences. In addition to the laboratories, the building includes a two-storey administrative section, staff offices, conference rooms, classrooms and two-tiered lecture theatres that accommodate 140 students. A three-storey glazed galleria links all of the spaces, creating a gathering space for staff and students.
An additional floor, designed by ft3 architects was added in 2012.