Etienne Gaboury completed a Bachelor of Arts (Latin-Philosophy) at College St. Boniface in 1953, followed by a Bachelor of Architecture at the University of Manitoba in 1958. Having received a post-graduate fellowship from the French government in 1958, Gaboury came to the École des Beaux-Arts in Paris for one year of study and extensive travel throughout Europe. Gaboury then returned to Winnipeg where he began a brief contract with the firm of Waisman and Ross. This period was followed by a short stint working with architect André Govin before Gaboury joined the office of Libling Michener and Associates for a two-year apprenticeship. Since establishing his own firm in 1961, he has designed a wide range of buildings and structures in Canada and abroad.