Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Linden Lanes School

Address:49 Silver Birch Drive, Brandon
Constructed:1964
Other Work:1968 - construction of four-room addition
2003 - renovation and addition of gymnasium, multipurpose room, science room, and canteen
Architects:E. Murray Simpson
Firms:Green Blankstein Russell and Associates
Contractors:Central Construction

More Information

Linden Lanes School was constructed in the west end of Brandon in 1964, at a cost of $255,000. The design was overseen by Green Blankstein Russell and Associates architect E. Murray Simpson. The main school is one-story of brick construction, with a larger gymnasium, built in 2003, at the rear.

Linden Lanes is a 300 acre subdivision located southwest of Brandon’s downtown, bounded by 26th Street, Richmond Avenue, 34th Street and the CNR tracks. The developer, Linden Lanes Ltd., made a proposal to the City of Brandon and the Provincial Town Planning Office in 1958 to develop the old Stewart Farm for the construction of about 300 houses. It was proposed to build the houses over a 3 year period.

The Provincial Town Planning Office raised some concerns regarding site drainage, financing, and project timing but the developer was able to satisfy these concerns and gained approval from the Public Utility Board and the Municipal Board in September 1958.

The City of Brandon began installation of water and sewer mains in the area as a 1958/59 winter works project to help the unemployed. It was planned to service 100 lots in 1959. As with all such projects at that time, the City of Brandon paid for all local improvements, relieving the developer of a large expense. Brandon planned the construction and gravelling of streets in Linden Lanes and three other subdivisions over the winter of 1959/60.

Major builders in Linden Lanes were Campbell and Haliburton, who were builders as well as sales agents, and Home Development Ltd. of Winnipeg. Between 60 and 110 houses were planned for 1959. Several advertisements for new houses appeared in the Brandon Sun during that summer, typically featuring 3 bedroom bungalows of about 1100 square feet in size. Featured amenities included: Mahogany trim throughout, coloured bath fixtures, fully plastered and decorated to owner’s choice of colours, white oak hardwood floors, silent switches, and landscaping and concrete walks.

Design Characteristics

Suburb:Linden Lanes
  •  

Sources

  • “‘Faulty’ Furnace Makes Board Hot", The Brandon Sun, January 31, 1967
  • Linden Lanes School
  • “New School Safe and On Schedule", The Brandon Sun, July 16, 1964