Gerald "Gerry" Macdonald graduated from the University of Manitoba School of Architecture in 1953 and was a founding partner of Ward Macdonald and later MCM (Macdonald Cockburn McFeetors) Architects. In 1979, he was named a Fellow of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada. His drive and passion built his firm into the premier architect for schools in the province. The many buildings and schools Macdonald and his firm designed over the years included the Winnipeg Centennial Library, Robson Hall Law Library, and the Keystone Centre in Brandon.
Macdonald passed away in April 2016.