Winnipeg Architecture Foundation



Brandon Sun Building

Address:501 Rosser Avenue,Brandon
Use:Newspaper company
Original Use:Warehouse, vehicle showroom
Architects:E Murray Simpson
Firms:Green Blankstein Russell

More Information

The Brandon Sun building was erected in 1947 for the John Deere Plow Company. They used the building for several years until relocating their Manitoba headquarters to Winnipeg.A portion of the building was then used by Brandon Automobiles as a new car showroom. The 19,300 square foot building had a two level front section and a very large one storey section at the rear.

In 1963, the Brandon Sun purchased the building and engaged GBR Architects to remodel it. The result was to be one of the most modern newspaper p[lants in the country at the time.

Renovations included a complete redesign of the front façade with the use of white pre-cast concrete, black anodized aluminum window and door frames and heat absorbing grey glass. E. Murray Simpson was the design architect for the project. The first floor contained management and business offices including advertising, accounting and the circulation department. The ground floor contained the editorial department with a news desk, photography and a library.

The Brandon Sun has acted as the City of Brandon’s preferred local newspaper after it’s first publication in 1882. The Sun put the building for sale in 2021.

Design Characteristics

  • Pre-cast concrete