Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Korean United Church of Winnipeg

Formerly:Harstone Memorial United Church
Sargent Avenue United Church
Address:905 Sargent Avenue
Use:Place of worship
Original Use:Place of worship
Constructed:1946, Basement
1950-1951, Superstructure
Other Work:1965, Addition
1980, "Renewal"
Architects:Pratt and Ross (1950-51)
Dwight Rupert Johnston (1965)
Contractors:Peter Leitch (1950-1951)
Kraft Construction (1965)

Significant Dates

  • 1943, Land purchased by Board of Home Missions
  • 1946, Sargent Avenue United Church foundation constructed (corner of Sargent Avenue and Ingersoll Street)
  • 1947, Changed name to Harstone United Church
  • 1949, Superstructure committee formed
  • 1951, New sanctuary dedicated (Lieut. Gov. R. F. McWilliams present)
  • 1965, Christian education wing dedicated
  • June 23 1991, Final service held

Design Characteristics

  • Cost of Construction (edifice): $100,000
  • Cost of Construction (basement): $30,000
  •  
  • Renewal proposal composed by Dudley Thompson in May 1980
  • First United Church built following WW2

Sources

  • Neil Bingham, A Study of the Church Buildings in Manitoba of the Congregational, Methodist, Presbyterian and United Churches of Canada. (Manitoba Culture, Heritage and Recreation, Historic Resources, 1987).
  • Ingersoll, W. E. "It Started Big and Stayed Big". Winnipeg Free Press. May 21, 1960.

Locations of Supporting Information

  • Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario, United Church of Canada Archives, University of Winnipeg Rare Book Room.