|Address:||836 Arlington Street|
|Architects:||David Wynyard Bellhouse|
Located in Winnipeg’s West End, St. Edward’s Roman Catholic Church was constructed in 1913 to the design of architect David W. Bellhouse. It was built by contractor Fred Lewis for $55,000. A landmark in its neighbourhood, the impressively sized structure was designed in the Romanesque style and arranged in a basilica plan. The distinctive characteristics of the church could be a result of Bellhouse’s training in Bruges, Belgium and London, England.
The parish’s first service was held in a small grocery store in July 1908. Its first structure was a roofless, small frame building at 818 Arlington. As the number of parishioners grew, a larger church was required. The new church at 836 Arlington was officially dedicated on October 19, 1913. More than 800 people attended the service.
The church is clad in deep red variegated Sydney brick with stone sills, capitals, belts, coping and mouldings. The facade features a great rounded arch that frames a deeply recessed central entrance. The complex includes a small attached residence, a full basement that is used for parish activities, and a central hall with kitchen and washroom facilities.