|Formerly:||First German Baptist Church|
|Address:||821 McDermot Avenue|
|Architects:||George G. Teeter|
821 McDermot Avenue was built as First German Baptist Church. The building, erected in 1907, is designed in a Gothic Revival style commonly used for churches in these years. Here this approach is demonstrated in the multiplication of pointed windows (some with Gothic tracery), vertical buttressing, and the soaring south-east tower, topped by a slender steeple. The building is clad in buff-toned brick with Tyndall limestone sill, string courses, and buttress caps. Stylistically, this building forms an interesting contrast with a nearly contemporaneous other Baptist church also designed by George Teeter, Nassau Street Baptist Church (549 Gertrude Avenue, of 1909), which is executed in a Romanesque idiom and the simplified polychrome of Teeter’s Olivet Baptist Church (234 Parkview Street, of 1910.