Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral of St. Mary the Protectress

Address:820 Burrows Avenue
Use:Place of worship
Original Use:Place of worship
Constructed:1925
Other Work:June 27 1925, Construction begins
Fall 1950, Construction completed
Architects:Stephan Muensch

Recognition and Awards

  • City of Winnipeg Historic Building Inventory

Design Characteristics

Suburb:Rossmere-A
  • Wood frame with red brick veneer
  • A Kievan-style church executed in the Ukrainian Baroque style, particularly evident in the domes
  • Parish founded in 1924
  • 10 lots purchased for site, in 1925 for $2,600 (on Sinclair between Burrows and Magnus Avenue)
  • Services were held in the basement of the building between 1925 and 1951
  • Interior iconography by Sviatoslav Hordynsky
  • Constructed with a significant amount of volunteer labour

Sources

  • Basil Rotoff. Monuments to Faith: Ukrainian Churches in Manitoba. (Winnipeg: University of Manitoba, 1990), 47.
  • "Celebrates Anniversary". Winnipeg Free Press, October 19, 1985.
  • Cheryl Girard. "The Icons of St. Mary the Protectress". Winnipeg Free Press, February 12, 2011.
  • Churches of Manitoba. Winnipeg Tribune, April 29, 1978.
  • John W. Graham. Guide to the Architecture of Greater Winnipeg. Winnipeg: University of Manitoba Press, 1960.
  • "Metropolitan Blesses First Bells for Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral". Winnipeg Free Press, June 3, 1950.
  • "Ukrainian Cathedral Marks 40th Birthday". Winnipeg Tribune, October 19, 1965.
  • Ukrainian Churches of Manitoba: a building inventory. Winnipeg: Manitoba Culture, Heritage and Recreation, Historic Resources, 1987. 339.
  • "Ukrainian Orthodox Church Marks 50th Anniversary". Winnipeg Free Press, December 9, 1968.
  • M. H. Maruanchuk. The Ukrainians: A History. Ukrainian Free Academy of Sciences, 1970. 530.