Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Victor Mager School

Address:81 Beliveau Road
Use:Education
Original Use:Education
Constructed:1959
Other Work:One large addition in the 1960s
Gymnasium addition in 1970
Architects:John A. Chivers
Ward Macdonald and Partners (1970)
Contractors:Louis Ducharme and Associates
W.L. Wardrop Associates (Plumbing and mechanical)

More Information

Victor Mager is a large elementary school, originally named Dakota Elementary, that opened in 1959 and hosts a current school population of 337 children, many of whom are new Canadians.

Design Characteristics

Suburb:Worthington, St. Vital
  • The brick building has grown and evolved considerably yet the front of the school retains most of its early appearance in its original gabled roof section with seven classrooms on the south to which was added a low-slung broad-eaved wing on a right angle to spread across the front; eventually, a two storey gym was built that anchors the far north end
  • Although substantially filled in, the window openings are evident and enough have remained to reflect the style of the early period
  • The yard is a good size with fields and a play structure that winds into woods at the side