Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Archwood School

Address:800 Archibald Street
Use:Educational
Original Use:Educational
Constructed:1952
Other Work:Addition of four classrooms in 1954, two in 1967, 1969 with a gym in 1983
Architects:Smith Carter Katelnikoff (1952, 1954)
Firms:Smith Carter Katelnikoff

More Information

This school was built for Norwood School Division to serve English-speaking children in the district. It originally had eight classrooms with an auditorium that doubled as a classroom. It stands one storey, with two gyms anchoring and balancing the design along the length of the site. The interior layout has not changed much but many alterations have been made. The exterior was partially redone, possibly in 1983. The original face is the plainer mid-brown brick at the top and bottom of the walls.

Design Characteristics

Suburb:Archwood, St. Boniface
  •