Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Windsor School

Address:80 Cunnington Avenue
Use:Education
Original Use:Education
Constructed:1922
Other Work:Additions in 1957 and 1960
Architects:Original unknown
Northwood and Chivers (1957)
John Chivers did a small addition (1960)
Firms:Northwood and Chivers

Design Characteristics

Suburb:Elm Park
  • Windsor School is an elementary school in the old tradition, one storey of red brick, where the several additions to the building over the years have maintained the essential look of the 1920s design while keeping the school responsive to neighbourhood needs
  • The modern addition on the west side constitutes a single-storey wing, continuing the red brick and contrasting trim of the original limestone, in a familiar design with strip windows now partially filled, along a single corridor of classrooms
  • A centre gym and a multi-use room on the opposite side continue the scale and colours and give a U-shape to the school footprint
  • The landscaped yard shares space with Windsor Community Club with sight lines into the adjacent golf course