|Use:||Place of worship|
|Contractors:||Saul and Irish|
In the early twentieth century, Winnipeg had an economic boom and its population grew. As a result, many churches found it necessary to expand or rebuild to accommodate their new parishioners. In 1909, members of the Westminster Presbyterian Church (now the United Church) decided to construct a new church. The location, at the corner of Westminster and Maryland, was chosen for its proximity to the homes of parishioners.
Renowned architect JHG Russell was selected to design the new church. The church is of masonry construction with a metal and wood frame and walls of rough-cut Manitoba Tyndall limestone. Russell’s design was innovative for its time; the skeleton of cast iron columns and steel beams allows the expansive ceiling to be held up without pillars.
This outstanding architectural landmark was designed in the Late Gothic Revival style. Elements of this style that are present in the design of Westminster include the corner buttress, the thin tracery windows, and the pointed arches. The main facade, which faces east, holds the primary entrance which consist of two large doors set at the top of stone stairs. The stained glass rose window sits above the main entrance and is framed by two towers. The interior is equally impressive. The church has excellent acoustical properties and contains a Casavant pipe organ, of which there are only three of its size in Winnipeg.
Westminster United continues to serve parishioners from the Wolseley area. In addition to its role as a church, Westminster United hosts a wide range of events, including community outreach programs. The excellent acoustics make it a wonderful place to hear live music.