Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

St. Barnabas Anglican Church

Formerly:St. Barnabas Anglican Church
Address:730 McPhillips Avenue
Use:Place of worship
Original Use:Place of worship
Constructed:1961
Architects:Ward and MacDonald

More Information

730 McPhillips Avenue was designed as the home of St. Barnabas Anglican Church, an institution which closed in June of 2014. The building is now host to a Ukrainian Evangelical Church. The church’s design is characterized by its large A-frame, in which the steeply pitched roof extends to grade and doubles as side walls. The A-frame was among the most common church styles erected in North American suburban neighborhoods during the 1950s and early 60s, offering a variety of modernism that retained a certain formality and dignity, while standing out in its context with a sculptural and eye-catching approach that allowed the whole construction to serve as a sort of spire.

Design Characteristics

Suburb:Shaughnessy Park
  • A-frame main structure
  • Flat-roofed vestibule with glazed walls

Sources

  • Church Editor. "St Barnabas." Winnipeg Free Press, January 25, 1958.
  • Kelly Crossman, A Study of Anglican Church Buildings in Manitoba (Manitoba Culture, Heritage, and Recreation, 1989) 151.
  • Vince Leah. "Long Love Affair with Holy Trinity." August 13, 1977.