Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Garden City Collegiate

Formerly:Jefferson High/Garden City East
Address:707 Jefferson Avenue
Use:Educational
Original Use:Educational
Constructed:1959
Other Work:Addition in 1964
Architects:Kunarsky and Weinberg
Ward and Macdonald (1964)

More Information

Opened 50 years ago as a junior high school called Jefferson Junior High, it is in the process of being permanently attached to its neighbour to the west, Garden City Collegiate, the construction is scheduled for completion in September 2009. The schools have been function as one for some time, with this section referred to as Garden City East.

Design Characteristics

  • It is made up of three sections: a lower portion across the front that rises to a three-storey academic wing along the east side and a two-storey section on the wets side with the library, gym/auditorium and possibly labs or shops
  • Despite many changes, the core design elements are still evident in the spatial layout, brick wall treatment and surviving window treatment on the academic wing