Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Wayota Elementary School

Address:605 Wayota Street
Use:Educational
Original Use:Educational
Constructed:1959-1960
Other Work:Planned addition in 1962
Gym wing in 1969
Architects:Ward and Macdonald

More Information

Opened in February 1960 as an elementary school, Wayota School is the same basic design as École Regent Park, albeit with different modifications. In 1983 there were 317 students, many in its Ukrainian-English bilingual program.

Canadian hero Terry Fox attended the school in 1965-66 for grades two and three.

Design Characteristics

Suburb:Kern Park
  • Its original eight classrooms, kindergarten, Music room, nurse's room and offices were immediately filled and thirteen new classes were added in 1962 in an academic wing on the north end, which brought the front of the school to its present configuration
  • The administration wing in the centre of the facade has a mezzanine floor with an open area that was planned as an assembly room and was made to suffice until a larger gym was put on the back in 1969
  • Typically long and narrow across the front, much of the original exterior remains intact although the large glass block windows have been mostly filled; the walls are covered with a red brick with pale stucco infil to contrast