Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Westview School

Address:600 Hoka Street
Use:Educational
Original Use:Educational
Constructed:1954
Other Work:Addition (1957, 1969)
Architects:Prain and Ward (1954, 1957)
Ward Macdonald and Partners (1969)

Design Characteristics

Suburb:Victoria West, Transcona
  • Opened in 1954 and with a population that continued to climb rapidly, Westview School soon needed to add to its original 12 rooms; a modest addition in 1957 in an identical idiom provided four more classrooms and an assembly room that doubled as a gym
  • Designed by architects Prain and Ward, Westview elementary is on the early end of the post-war style for modern schools, with residual touches of fenestration and detailing that were not typically used by the younger firms at the time
  • Over a single-storey frame of wood and steel, the school is faced with a brown brick and with (formerly) large multi-paned windows in each classroom; it is L-shaped following the addition in 1957 and a gym was added on the south end in 1969
  • Author Nan Shipley wrote that the small school still had an enrolment of 413 students in 1983 but this number has dropped as the surrounding community ages