Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Hugh John Macdonald School

Address:567 Bannatyne Avenue
Use:Educational
Original Use:Educational
Constructed:1929
Other Work:Additions (1956, 1964)
Architects:Winnipeg School Division, In-house
Contractors:Fraser Construction Co. (1956)
Kraft Construction Ltd. (1964)

More Information

Named to honour Sir Hugh John Macdonald, a popular local politician and police magistrate, this school opened in 1929.

Design Characteristics

Suburb:Centennial
  • The old school is a straight-forward and attractive design in two-storey school of brown variegated brick with modest amounts of stone detailing; the first addition repeated this design fairly faithfully in 1956 with six classrooms added on the south end (minus the stone decoration)
  • No homage was paid when an auditorium/gym block was attached on the north end in 1964, in fact a red brick was used and some of the windows in the original school were covered over and painted red to tie in the latest addition