Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Red River Valley Junior Academy

Address:56 Grey Street
Use:Education
Original Use:Education
Constructed:1961
Architects:Unknown

More Information

The first Seventh-Day Adventist Junior Academy was founded in 1924 in an old church on Bannerman Avenue; the name changed to Red River Valley Junior Academy when the new school opened here in 1961 to be more inclusive; it belongs to an extensive network of educational institutions world-wide owned by the Seventh Day Adventist Church.

Design Characteristics

Suburb:Elmwood East
  • It is a small but active school, tucked into a space between the CPR Keewatin line and the northbound ramp for the Nairn overpass; the yard is irregular but nicely landscaped and fenced with a good play structure; it offers classes in junior kindergarten to Grade 10
  • The school has two sections with an academic wing and a gym wing on the east end; it has been altered from the original brick finish to be
  • covered in limestone with a small amount of dark trim
  • The classrooms run from a single corridor in a rectangular plan, each with a large window replacing the original strip windows
  • The gym wing reveals its concrete block construction, and has thin clerestory windows facing west and made from glass block