Located south of Fermor Avenue and adjacent to the Niakwa Country Club and the Seine River, the neighbourhood of Niakwa Place was developed in the late 1960s. The community is the direct southerly neighbour of the Niakwa Park and Windsor Park areas, two districts which by the mid-1960s were largely completed their initial development. The City of Winnipeg’s 1973 District Plan for St. Boniface lists Niakwa Place within the Southdale Local Planning Area – a section of the city which remained principally vacant at that time. The name Niakwa is derived from an aboriginal term for “winding river” as was earlier applied to the Niakwa County Club, which was established to the west of the present Niakwa Place area in 1921.
Niakwa Place was part of a large boom in population in St. Boniface during the post-war era. The municipality increased its number of inhabitants from 26,342 to 37,600 between 1951-1960, reaching 43,214 by 1966 and 45,370 by 1969. This growth rate significantly exceeded that of Metropolitan Winnipeg as a whole.
Niakwa Place played host to the 1968 Parade of Homes, located along Royal Salinger Road. Many of the homes in this display included in their living or dining room “feature walls” of panelled with wood or other materials “for a distinctive and luxurious effect.” Houses along this row were also touted as possessing exteriors with unique features, including one clad entirely in shingle – a material treatment described as a “continuous flow for a startling original effect.”
The chief developer of the area was Ladco Company Limited. Contracting and building firms involved in the construction of homes in the neighbourhood included Meinzer Construction Limited, Engineered Homes, Walter Senicki Construction and Hashimoto Construction Limited.
Period descriptions of Niakwa Place pronounce it “a community within a community. It is an area of 250 homes within the larger 2,400-home area of Southdale.” Black slate and Tyndall stone were also used on many exteriors. Patios and barbecues were advertised as lending the area a sense of “wide and spacious ‘leisure-living.’” Advertisements also boasted: “Only a stone's throw from the beautiful lakes of Southdale, Niakwa Place is geared to fast-moving modern living.”
1,272 square feet