Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Churchill Park United Church

Formerly:Rosedale United Church
Address:525 Beresford Avenue
Use:Place of worship
Original Use:Place of worship
Constructed:1957
Architects:Prain and Ward
Firms:Prain and Ward
Contractors:Arlington Builders Ltd.

More Information

The Church and Hall, constructed in 1957, was designed for a growing congregation by Prain and Ward. It replaced a smaller structure of similar function constructed in 1948. The complex includes an auditorium, modern lounge, offices, minister’s study, nursery, kindergarten, junior club room and a main hall. The expansion of the structure to accommodate recreational, educational, and multi-functional programs reflects a broader trend at the time in the design of United Church facilities.

The two storey structure is constructed of red brick veneer on concrete block, has a flat roof and lacks a full basement. The front facade is finished with needle point brick work.

Significant Dates

  • 1967, Centennial stained glass window installed by A. E. Ashcroft
  • 1995, Rosedale United amalgamated with Riverview United Church and becomes Churchill Park United Church

Design Characteristics

Suburb:Lord Roberts
  • Nave seats 450
  • Chairman of Building Committee, Dr. Simpson
  • Lot dimensions: 150' x 114.3'
  • Construction cost: $150,000
  • Architects fees: $8,000

Sources

  • "A Record of Growth Since 1910". Winnipeg Free Press, November 23, 1957.
  • "Church Turns 75 Sunday". Winnipeg Free Press, November 9, 1995.
  • Fort Rouge Centennial Brochure Committee. Fort Rouge Through The Years. Winnipeg, 1974. 14.
  • Neil Bingham, A Study of the Church Buildings in Manitoba of the Congregational, Methodist, Presbyterian and United Churches of Canada. (Manitoba Culture, Heritage and Recreation, Historic Resources, 1987) 259.