Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Glenwood School

Address:51 Blemheim Avenue
Use:Education
Original Use:Education
Constructed:1928
Other Work:Addition, designed by Alex Melville (1954)
Additions 1955, 1963, and 1974
Architects:Smith Carter Katelnikoff (1954-55)
Pratt Lindgren Snider and Associate (1974)

More Information

A fragmented complex, Glenwood Elementary School had seen much growth and change in its 80-year history. The original two-storey brick school was added onto sometime in the pre-war period and then added to again with essentially a completely separate annex, joined by a link, which was itself added to the 1954 portion.

Design Characteristics

Suburb:Glenwood
  • The 1954 portion is obvious as a small one-storey brick school of modern design facing the street on the west side; to this was added a two-storey addition in 1955 which continues the brown brick face and window design; a large new gym attached to the original old school ties the complex together
  • Its yard shares space with Glenwood Community Club and arena