Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Charleswood Junior High

Address:505 Oakdale Drive
Use:Educational
Original Use:Educational
Constructed:1955
Other Work:Additions in 1961, 1964, 1968, 1977
Architects:Northwood, Chivers and Casey
Smith, Carter, Searle Associates (1964)
Firms:Northwood Chivers and Casey, Smith Carter Searle Associates
Contractors:Structural Engineer; W. H. Milley (1964)

Design Characteristics

Suburb:Charleswood
  • The oldest section of this school was opened in 1955 as Charleswood High School (now a junior high) for the Assiniboine South School Division; that portion has its end wall perpendicular to Grant Ave. and faces west to the side street, and remains the official front entrance; lower that its two end sections, it acts as a visual link
  • When all its many additions were done, the became a closed E shape, with two small green spaces still open between the fingers of the E; these are not visible from the exterior but provide much-appreciated light and ventilation
  • The community grew very quickly so space was constantly at a premium, with a large addition across the north side in one 'finger' and another on the east side in the third 'finger' in 1964; these were later crossed at the rear by a gym and academic wing on the south side
  • Original plans describe a school made of concrete block faced in 'Redfield clay tile' with some stucco; the best sample of original window design is across the north side facing Grant in the 1961 portion, here in a high continuous strip; the red brick walls have been maintained
  • Eric Coy Arena, a curling club and a large yard share the site, given a green backdrop on the east side by Tom Chester Park