|Address:||489 Winterton Avenue|
|Use:||Place of worship|
|Original Use:||Place of worship|
|Other Work:||1986, Hall Addition|
A key presence in its East Kildonan milieu, Holy Eucharist Ukrainian Catholic Church immediately impresses with its dignified assembly of brick-clad rectangular and triangular forms topped by upward-stretching domes.The building dates to 1954. The East Kildonan Ukrainian Catholic parish originated in 1919, making it the third oldest Ukrainian Catholic parish in Winnipeg. By the late 1940s, as the East Kildonan area continued to grow, the historic church building (at Watt Street and Larsen Avenue) had became inadequate to the needs of a growing congregation. Under the direction of the Father Ihor Shpytkovsky, the parcel of land occupied by the present church was was purchased at Watt Street and Munroe Avenue, only six blocks north of the first church building.
The new church was designed by noted architect and priest Philip RuhThe church's design communicates a grandeur worthy of its religious role. Drawing upon the history of Orthodox church design, the brick-clad building's plan is cruciform, its column-free interior adorned with multiple religious paintings.