Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

410 Portage Avenue

Formerly:Bradburn Building
Address:410 Portage Avenue
Constructed:1922
Other Work:1955, upper floor renovations
Architects:William Fingland
Contractors:William Arthur Irish

More Information

410 Portage Avenue, known as the Bradburn building, was constructed in 1922. The building was designed by William Finland and constructed by William Arthur Irish at a cost of $68,000. The building is a two-storey brick structure designed as the office of Hector H. Bradburn, an oil company executive and owner of the Bradburn Investments Company.

The Bradburn building is designed as a two-part commercial building, a popular design in Winnipeg's downtown. The design entailed the construction of a building that would be split between two businesses: a retail tenant on the ground floor and office space in the rest of the building. Multiple retail tenants worked out of the ground floor.

Originally, the entire structure was made of brick, even the ornate chimney which is still visible from the rear of the building. Over the years of many retail tenants on the ground level, numerous exterior renovations were done and left the building looking disjunct. To the rear of the building are two one-storey additions that extended the string of retail tenants on the ground level.

Bradburn and his company stayed at the business until 1950. After his departure the upper floor was renovated in 1955.

In 1995 a mural was painted on the eastern facade of the building. The colourful mural was painted by Gall Ryckman with the assistance of Allan Williams, Suzanna Portnoy, and Sister MacNumara School's grade five and six classes.

Design Characteristics

  • Two storeys
  • Brick building with many exterior renovations to the main level, leaving the two floors to seem mismatched
  • Ornate chimney can be see from the rear of the building
  • Two one-storey additions to the rear of the building
  • Large mural visible on eastern facade; bright colours have faded since 1995
  • The name Bradburn, carved in stone accent, visible on front atop the windows

Sources