Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

St. Michael's Ukrainian Catholic Church

Address:400 Day Street
Use:Place of worship
Constructed:1965
Other Work:1950, Parish Hall constructed on south portion of site
Architects:Radoslav Zuk

More Information

The interior of this modernist, brick-clad church contains extensive mosaics depicting Saints Philip, Simon, James the Lesser, John, Matthew and St. Paul by artist Roman Kowal. The mosaics are artfully lit by the slender windows which illuminate the chapel.

Design Characteristics

Suburb:Kern Park, Transcona
  • Church Hall (1950) constructed with volunteer labour
  • Cost of construction, approx. $500,000
  • Mitre represents the shield of the Archangel Michael
  • Oblong interior, 158 ft. in length
  • 'Cross in Square' plan

Sources

  • Basil Rotoff. Monuments to Faith: Ukrainian Churches in Manitoba. Winnipeg: University of Manitoba, 1990.
  • A.M. Kowcz-Baran. Ukrainian Catholic Churches of Winnipeg. Saskatoon: Archeparchy of Winnipeg, 1991.
  • Ukrainian Churches of Manitoba: A Building Inventory. Winnipeg: Manitoba Culture, Heritage and Recreation, Historic Resources, 1987.
  • Lillian Gibbons. "Shield Rises Over St. Michael's." Winnipeg Tribune, June 29, 1967.

Locations of Supporting Information

  • The Ukrainian Catholic Archeparchy of Winnipeg, Museum and Archives