Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

St. Alphonsus Roman Catholic Parish

Address:341 Munroe Avenue
Use:Place of worship
Original Use:Place of worship
Constructed:1958
Architects:Zunic and Sobkowich

More Information

"The structure of the church depends upon diagonally intersecting laminated wood arches to create the sawtoothed form of the building. Salmon toned concrete brick walls inside and out, and narrow windows combine to create a lively translation from older traditional churches."

John W. Graham. Guide to the Architecture of Greater Winnipeg (Winnipeg: University of Manitoba Press, 1960), 40.

Design Characteristics

Suburb:Munroe West
  • Concrete slab on grade foundation
  • Sawtooth roof
  • Situated centrally on a generous landscaped lot
  • Centrally located, glazed cupola

Sources

  • Graham, John W. Guide to the Architecture of Greater Winnipeg. Winnipeg: University of Manitoba Press, 1960.