Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Holy Ghost School

Address:333 Selkirk Avenue
Use:Educational
Original Use:Educational
Constructed:1954
Architects:Unknown

More Information

Holy Ghost School serves an inner city neighbourhood with a church and adjacent school, founded by Polish Catholics for education in the faith but is now an elementary school for students of a variety of cultures.

It is a small school, about to have an addition (circa 2009), and to date, a single design of good integrity.

Design Characteristics

Suburb:Lord Selkirk Park
  • Two storeys high, the west end is a red brick auditorium/gym area, with approximately 11 or 12 classrooms in the academic wing on the east portion
  • This wing perfectly illustrates the clean lines and uncluttered facade of the modern ideal, while providing students with a proper, safe place to learn; a crisp grid of windows and pale blue metal panels is all that is seen between the frame faced in red brick to match up the gym wing and plain end walls.
  • North and south elevations are almost identical
  • The yard is fenced and mostly paved but Pritchard Park is available on its north side street
  • The school is in the process of seeking a variance allowing it to expand into the property on the east (circa 2009)