Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

A. F. G. Glass Centre

Address:308 Colony Street
Use:Glass Repair Centre
Original Use:Commercial
Constructed:1944
Other Work:1958, Construction of storage tanks
1987, Alterations to encroaching commercial building
1987, Interior renovations
Architects:Edgar Prain
Firms:Edgar Prain
Contractors:A. Akman & Son

Design Characteristics

  • Site: 99 ft. (30.18 m) frontage x 132 ft. (40.23 m)
  • Plan area: 8,190 sq. ft. (760.85 sq. m)
  • Gross floor area: 8,190 sq. ft. (760.85 sq. m)
  •  
  • Foundation and basement constructed with reinforced concrete piles; 5-inch concrete floor
  • Superstructure constructed of hollow tile and brick; steel trusses on brick piers; finish of sand-lime brick except for piers which were to be hard burnt clay brick; roof of 4-ply felt, pitch and gravel, brick parapet and coping, windows of wired plate glass in steel sash

Locations of Supporting Information

  • University of Manitoba Libraries, Department of Archives and Special Collections, Winnipeg Tribune Subject Clippings Research Files