Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Foster Marks Building

Formerly:Western Savings and Loan
Address:280 Smith Street
Use:Office building
Original Use:Head office, Western Saving and Loan
Constructed:1950
Other Work:1957, Four storey addition to existing office
1988, 1988 (Ed Sanwell of Kona Construction), 1989, 1990, 1993, Interior renovations
Architects:Moody & Moore
Firms:Moody & Moore
Contractors:Pearson Construction Co. Ltd. (Addition)
Barcliffe Investment Ltd. (Developer)

More Information

280 Smith Street, developed by Barcliffe Investments, was constructed in 1950 as a two storey office for Western Saving and Loan. The architects hired for the design work was Moody and Moore architects.

By 1957 it was decided that the building was too small and need of an addition. Barcliffe Investments hired Moody and Moore architects once more for the new three storey addition and decided to hired the Pearson Construction Co. Ltd. as their contractor. The three storey addition included the addition of an elevator within the building and the extension of the staircase located just above the main entrance of the building. The major expansion also allowed for the alteration of the 1950 exterior, the resulting exterior removed much of the original elements. The alteration cost $500,000 and involved sinking new caissons, new steel framing, and concrete decks. The three floors of brand new office space was rented out to various tenants.

Design Characteristics

  • Barcliffe Investments retained Moody and Moore architects to plan a major expansion of their building at 280 Smith Street in 1957
  • To its original two storeys were added three more plus an elevator and stair wing
  • The exterior was altered as well, leaving little of the look of the 1950 Western Savings and Loan
  • The elevator section is set back slightly, and its window levels do not line up with the main building
  • At the base of the northern section is the main entrance which gives the impresion of two long tall buildings being pushed together in a crowded streetscape
  • The exterior dimensions of the two sections are the same, 51 feet wide by 117 feet deep
  • Three storeys in 1957, which included sinking new caissons for the elevator shafts, steel framing and poured concrete decks