Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Fame Nightclub

Address:279 Garry Street
Use:Fame Nightclub
Original Use:Private Club
Constructed:1972-1973
Other Work:1991, Interior alterations
Architects:Boyle Francis Schaeffer
Engineers:Burgoyne and Thomassen
Dominion Bridge Co.
Contractors:Malcolm Construction Ltd.
Tours:Part of the QR Code Tour

More Information

Designed by local architect Boyle F. Schaeffer for the Army, Navy & Air Force Veterans in Canada, 275 - 279 Garry Street was constructed between 1972 and 1973. The dramatic one-storey brick building encompasses an earlier 1909 structure, designed by W. W. Blair for Henderson Directories Ltd. The ANAF Veterans Fort Garry Unit # 60 used the original building for a period of time, before deciding to build a new operation. The imposing red brick façade offers only two entrances to the interior, both semi-circular cutouts, breaking up what is otherwise a uniform windowless brick wall. Each entrance is punctuated with concentric semi-circles of brick detailing, employed both to increase the drama of the small, discrete entrances as well as adding visual interest to an otherwise simple façade.

As a new tenant moved into the South of the building alterations were made to part of the buildings façade. New white panelling now covers the previous brick work. A new entrance was also installed to the building, but the original South entrance o the building maintains its semi circle shape. Also unchanged to the building is a mural.

On the buildings South elevation is a mural honouring the past owners, the ANAF Veterans Fort Garry Unit #60. The mural depicts men and women who served in the army, navy, and air force.

Design Characteristics

  • Site: 100x120 ft. (30.48 x 36.58m)
  • Building #1: 1909, Two-storey
  • Plan area: 3,327 sq. ft. (309.08 sq. m)
  • Gross floor area: 9,981 sq. ft. (927.23 sq. m)
  • Building #2: 1972-1973, One-storey
  • Plan area: 7,280 sq. ft. (676.31 sq. m)
  • Gross floor area: 14,816 sq. ft. (1,376.41 sq. m)
  •  
  • Original brick façade, partially covered in white panelling
  • Semi-circle entrances
  • Mural on the Southmost wall

Sources