Winnipeg Architecture Foundation



Kum-Koon Garden Restaurant

Address:257 King Street
Original Use:Restaurant
Constructed:1940; 1956
Other Work:1982, 1986, 1988, Interior alterations
1982, 1988, Exterior alterations
1983, Fire damage repaired
Recent changes include a major addition and exterior renovation and renovation of the facade of the building
Engineers:Cowin & Co.
Contractors:C. T. Lount
Leo Lanthier (Addition)

Design Characteristics

  • Site frontage: 107.08 sq. ft. (556.84 sq. m)
  • Plan area: 5,994 sq. ft. (556.84 sq. m)
  • Gross floor area: 11,988 sq. ft. (1,113.68 sq. m)
  • Masonry with wood frame, foundation and basement constructed with reinforced concrete footing, 12-inch concrete walls, concrete floor
  • Superstructure contstructed with 8-inch exterior brick wall reinforced by pilasters, wood or perhaps concrete posts, wood floor and roof joists, ashphalt roof, 24-inch brick parapet wall


  • Lindor Reynolds, "Chinatown - City Within a City," Winnipeg Sun, March 11, 1990, pp. S6-S7.