|Formerly:||National Trust Building|
|Address:||250 Portage Avenue|
|Original Use:||Banking hall and offices|
|Other Work:||1967, 1974, 1977, 1989, 1992, Renovations|
|Architects:||Green Blankstein Russell|
|Contractors:||Arlington Builders Limited|
Designed by Green Blankstein and Russell, 250 Portage Avenue was constructed in 1965. Originally programmed as a bank, the structure is now in use by a variety of retail tenants. The previous building on the lot had burned down after a fire in 1953.
The two storey building was constructed with reinforced concrete and designed with modern elements. The use of black granite and contrasting white Canadian marble is considered to be a notable element of the style. The glass curtain wall gives another element of modernism. The curtain also allows for the striking visual effect of a floating roof and columns. The glass used for the exterior is made of an anti glare glass and framed in solar bronze. The entire building is set on a black granite podium, although the entrance sits at street level. The total cost for the building, once constructed, was $700,000.