Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Our Lady of Victory School

Address:249 Arnold Avenue
Use:Educational
Original Use:Educational
Constructed:1949
Architects:Roy Sellors

More Information

This small elementary school was established in 1949 and was called Monseigneur James K. MacIssac School for most of the early period. It was renamed Our Lady of Victory, in keeping with the attached church. The church is a modern space designed by the University of Manitoba Dean of Architecture, Roy Sellors, who likely also planned this school, which is connected to the church on the east end. The school advertises "affordable quality education to children of all backgrounds" in classes from kindergarten to Grade 8.

Design Characteristics

Suburb:Riverview
  • The school portion is blocky, in one and two storeys with a larger gym wing added later on the east end.
  • It is covered in red brick and has high windows and possibly a skylight or light well separating it from the gym wing.
  • The entrance design is repeated in the church, only with coloured glass windows
  •  

Links & Related Buildings