Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

247 Strathmillan Road

Address:247 Strathmillan Road
Original Use:Dwelling
Constructed:1918
Architects:Unknown

More Information

By 1920 the Rural Municipality of St. James was partially developed following a sustained period of growth at the beginning of the 20th century.

The years between the mid-1940s and the early 1970s within metropolitan Winnipeg were a time of significant expansion and development, as the constraints of nearly a generation of economic hardship and war dissipated. The advent of social programming, and the participation of municipal, provincial, and federal governments in post-war economic stimulation adjusted the previously fundamental structure of the city, resulting in a steady residential spread outwards and the creation of new roads and services to accommodate this sprawling development. The population within the suburban municipalities more than tripled between the years of 1941 and 1971, as a response to the changing values of returning soldiers and their families, and the desire of the parents of the “baby boom” generation to own their own homes. The new residential neighbourhoods of Silver Heights (between the Assiniboine River and Ness Avenue, bound by Conway and Davidson Streets), Westwood, Crestview and St. Charles developed during this period.

The Rural Municipality of St. James became the City of St. James in 1956, and in 1967 merged with the Town of Brooklands to become the City of St. James-Assiniboia. In 1972 the region became part of the City of Winnipeg, under Unicity.

Design Characteristics

Roof:The peak roof runs parallel to the road and, on the front, features a large dormer that houses two small windows.
Materials:The house is clad in painted horizontal siding and stucco.
Size:One and a half-storeys
1,284 square feet
Suburb:St. James
Frontage Direction:West
  •