Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

St. James United Church and Hall

Formerly:Parkview United Church
Address:234 Parkview Street
Use:Place of worship
Original Use:Place of worship
Constructed:1920, Church
1956, Hall
Architects:John Semmens (1920)
Semmens and Allison (1956)
Firms:John Semmens, Semmens and Allison
Contractors:Arlington Brothers Ltd. (1956)

Significant Dates

  • 1951, Construction of Manse (sold in 1990)
  • 1956, Plans for new church made
  • 1956, Sod turning
  • October 1956, Cornerstone laid by His Honour J.S. McDiarmid, Lieutenant Govenor of Manitoba
  • March 1957, First service held
  • January 1958, Leo Mol stained glass window installed and dedicated

Design Characteristics

Suburb:King Edward
  • 1920s edifice, Gothic in style
  • Cost of Construction for 1920s church: $100,000

Sources

  • Church Editor. "Special Services for Opening of New Church." Winnipeg Free Press, September 28, 1957.
  • Neil Bingham. A Study of the Church Buildings in Manitoba of the Congregational, Methodist, Presbyterian and United Churches of Canada. Manitoba Culture, Heritage and Recreation, Historic Resources, 1987.
  • M. M. Ferguson. A History of St James. St James, 1967. 64-65.

Locations of Supporting Information

  • Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario, United Church of Canada Archives, University of Winnipeg