Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Lindsay Building

Address:228 Notre Dame Avenue
Use:Residential
Original Use:Office
Constructed:1911-12
Architects:John Woodman and Raymond Carey

More Information

Frank Lindsay, a stage coach driver, then businessman, built this structure and, on its walls, emblazoned his name and the date in terra cotta. The Lindsay Building offers the most effusive use of terra cotta in the city. This is a trapezoidal building due to the irregular dimensions of the property. It is here where the original settlers’ strip lots extending from the Red and Assiniboine Rivers converge. The architects chose a reinforced concrete construction and faced it with a shining ivory terra cotta with dark green accents. Much of the decoration is found on the top two floors. Beneath the cornice, from the mouths of lions, hang coats of arms. On the narrowest wall, at the second storey, are maple leaves and emblems of Great Britain. From near the second-floor corners, garlands and fruit spill onto the first-storey ledges. Below five arched windows on the main floor, angel twins flutter in profile.