Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Transcona Memorial United Church

Formerly:Yale Avenue United Church
Address:209 Yale Avenue West
Use:Place of worship
Original Use:Place of worship
Constructed:1953
Other Work:1963, Construction of the Christian Education Centre
Architects:Edgar Prain

More Information

In 1953 the Yale Avenue United Church was demolished to allow for the construction of a larger edifice to house a growing congregation. It was replaced by the Transcona Memorial United Church, designed by Edgar Prain. An understated brick veneered entrance links the newly constructed church to the 1963 addition of a Christian Education Centre. Both structures share the neutral exterior finish of stucco, yet differ in their form: the church is of a more traditional shape, with Gothic influences, than the rectilinear, flat roofed character of the adjoining education centre.

Significant Dates

  • June 5 1952, Excavation begins
  • September 13 1953, Dedication Service

Design Characteristics

Suburb:Victoria West, Transcona
  • Site donated to church by W. J. Christie
  •  

Sources

  • Church Editor. "Boxes For Seats, A Hat For Offering". Winnipeg Free Press, May 8, 1957.

Locations of Supporting Information

  • The United Church of Canada, Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario Archives (University of Winnipeg Archives and Special Collections)