|Address:||208 Edmonton Street|
|Original Use:||Pharmacy, medical clinic and offices|
|Other Work:||1983, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1996, 1998, Interior alterations|
|Firms:||Waisman & Ross|
|Contractors:||Wyatt Construction Co. Ltd.|
The Astra Building, 208 Edmonton Street, was designed by local architectural firm Waisman and Ross and constructed between 1956 and 1957.
Upon completion, the top three floors housed insurance companies, while the Kobrinsky Medical Clinic occupied the main floor and basement. To facilitate the movement of clients and tenants between floors, the building featured the first oil-lift principle elevator to be installed in a Winnipeg business block.
A mosaic on the north end of the wall is by artist Robert Bruce. Of the mosaic, the Winnipeg artist commented; “some movement was needed to relieve the severe horizontal and vertical divisions of the building.”