Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Kildonan United Church

Address:187 Killbride Avenue
Use:Place of worship
Constructed:1958
Other Work:1972 Renovations, Fellowship Hall addition (by Ward MacDonald Cockburn and McFeetors Architects)
Architects:Norman Russell
Contractors:Sandor Construction Ltd. (Renovation)

Significant Dates

  • 1954, Building Committee formed
  • June 8, 1958, Sod turning ceremony
  • September 21, 1958, Cornerstone laid
  • 1958, Construction begins
  • Nov 6, 1962, Mortgage burned
  • 1972, Fellowship Hall constructed

Design Characteristics

Suburb:Seven Oaks
  • Seating capacity, 225.
  • Cost of 1972 renovation, $56,200

Sources

  • "Kildonan United Church." Winnipeg Tribune, November 15, 1958.
  • Neil Bingham. A Study of the Church Buildings in Manitoba of the Congregational, Methodist, Presbyterian and United Churches of
  • Canada. (Manitoba Culture, Heritage and Recreation, Historic Resources, 1987).
  • Vince Leah. "West of the River: The Story of West Kildonan." Winnipeg Tribune, 1971. 20.
  • Winnipeg: Kildonan File, UCA. "Kildonan United Church: The Laying of the Cornerstone." September 21, 1958. 1.

Locations of Supporting Information

  • United Church of Canada Archives, University of Winnipeg (Plans and Drawings by N.C.H. Russell)