Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

St. George School

Address:181 St. George's Road
Use:Education
Original Use:Education
Constructed:1954-1955
Other Work:Multi-purpose room/gym added in 1961
Other assorted additions
Architects:Smith Carter Katelnikoff
John Chivers (1961)
Firms:Smith Carter Katelnikoff
John Chivers

More Information

Built for the St. Vital School Division, the earliest construction of St. George School went up in two right-angled sections which are obvious in the photographs, but some additions to the building are not documented because it unravels beyond in a couple of directions, dimensions and styles.

Design Characteristics

Suburb:Central St. Boniface
  • Although an elementary school, St. George has two storeys with the grade 7, 8 and 9 students occupying the upper floor
  • Faced in a medium brown brick, the main entrance is on the west facade, off centred between two older front sections
  • The original large window openings exist but most of the glass block that filled the upper portion has been replaced with blue metal panels except on the north side where the shape remains
  • This north wing opens onto a landscaped and fenced yard; a larger yard on the east side is shared with City recreation programs