Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Mennonite Brethren Collegiate Institute

Address:180 Riverton Avenue
Use:Education
Original Use:Education
Constructed:1954
Architects:Unknown

More Information

Established in 1945, Mennonite Brethren Collegiate Institute (MBCI) is a campus of buildings serving 560 students in grades 6 to 12. The oldest surviving portion on this site is the old academic block at 173 Talbot Avenue.

Design Characteristics

  • It is a small square building of two storeys, frame, and covered with stucco,with distinctive pink limestone decorating its entrance bay; the entrance has double glass doors with sidelights of glass block; the words 'M. B. Collegiate Institute' are overhead on the wall and a datestone for 1954 point to the former significance of the building; many of its windows have been filled but the basic shape remains
  • It is attached at the back to a newer building and on its east side to the Red Gym, with a datestone of 1959; whatever it looked like then, the Red Gym is now covered with painted bi-colour aluminum siding
  • These appear to be the only structures from the study period on the campus.