Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Montessori Learning Centre

Address:170 Ashland Avenue
Use:Education
Original Use:Education
Constructed:1951
Architects:Unknown
Contractors:Wallace and Aikins Ltd.

Design Characteristics

Suburb:Riverview
  • This is a small jewel of a school in pristine condition, with careful detailing and expressing very good integrity to its 1951 construction
  • It functioned as an elementary school until closure in 1982, re-opened in 1993 as the Winnipeg School Division Diagnostic Learning Centre and is now a Montessori pre-school and kindergarten facility
  • A perfect rectangle with nice proportions and window ratios, it is mainly symmetrical with walls of red brick, with identical doorways at the north and south ends including two name stones over the double doors
  • Probably only eight classrooms in total, each room is abundantly lit with large multi-paned windows that fill the top 2/3 of the east and west side walls and these are true to the original design
  • Close to the quiet cross street on the east, the school has ample grounds on the west, shared with the City's recreation program