Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

École St. Maurice School

Address:1639 Pembina Highway
Use:Educational
Original Use:Educational
Architects:Unknown

More Information

École St. Maurice School is a private elementary school affiliated with St. Vital Church. While situated in the present civic district of Fort Garry, the ancient Catholic parish of St. Vital crossed the Red River and extended far south on both sides for many decades, and this church carries the old designation.

École St. Maurice School is the largest co-ed Catholic school in the province, with classes from kindergarten to grade 12. Typical of church institutions that could only grow as funds became available, St. Maurice School is a pastiche of small buildings rambling out in three directions from an older two-storey block.

Design Characteristics

Suburb:Fort Garry
  • Many of the sections are simple one-story stucco classroom wings but there is also a second larger wing centred on the west section
  • Although lacking their own playing fields, the existing grounds are fenced and well-kept with a good play structure; the buildings also seem to be in good repair

Locations of Supporting Information

  • Winnipeg Architecture Foundation, Inc.