Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

14 Harmon Avenue

Address:14 Harmon Avenue
Original Use:Dwelling
Constructed:1953
Architects:Unknown
Contractors:Frank Lount and Sons Company

More Information

Construction on this Harmon Street bungalow began in 1953. The main entrance of the home is on the side and is covered by a wood screen which supports the overhanging eave. The automobile influenced changes in the plan of the typical post-war single-family detached home. The front porch, which had been central in the design of homes in earlier neighbourhoods such as Wolsely or Crescentwood, and used as social centers, were unnecessary as communities now commuted to their homes instead of walking. The primary entrance to suburban homes shifted from the street side to a door nearest the carport or garage. Alternatively, a front entrance was provided, but used only for guests, as the members of the household entered and exited the home from the secondary, informal entrance.

To escape from road noise and take advantage of outdoor living areas in the backyard, the living room occasionally shifted to the rear of the house and patios and decks were added to merge the two living spaces.

Design Characteristics

Windows:There are two windows on the front of the house. One very large multi-pane light which is divided in a grid, and a small shuttered window.
Materials:The house is primarily clad in stucco, except in the gable which features painted wood siding.
Size:Single-storey
1,120 square feet
Style:Bungalow
Suburb:Silver Heights
  •  

Sources

  • “Silver Heights Development.” Western Construction and Building. November 1952.
  • Rostecki, Randy. Silver Heights: A Mid-century Modern Winnipeg Subdivision. For the City of Winnipeg Heritage section of Planning, Property and Development. 2013.

Locations of Supporting Information

  • Winnipeg Architecture Foundation
  • Province of Manitoba, Legislative Library
  • City of Winnipeg, Planning Property and Development Division
  • City of Winnipeg Archiveselopment Division
  • City of Winnipeg Archives