Bright and Johnston Building
|Address:||137 Bannatyne Avenue|
|Architects:||Willmot and Stewart|
|Tours:||Part of the QR Code Tour|
The Swiss Building, a four-storey brick structure erected in 1882-83 and later expanded, stands in the eastern portion of Winnipeg's historic Exchange District connected by a party wall and interior driveway to a neighbouring warehouse.
The Swiss Building is a fine expression of early warehouse development in Winnipeg. The building's relatively modest scale, wood post-and-beam frame and restrained Romanesque Revival brick front are typical of the pre-1900 warehouses that formed the nucleus of the Exchange District, now a national historic site of Canada. The structure's location also is illustrative of the district's origins. Set between the Red River and Main Street, the warehouse benefitted from construction of a railway spur line and an interior driveway, part of an adjoining, 1903 warehouse. These amenities were particularly attractive to perishable goods wholesalers who commonly occupied the premises until the 1940s. Designed by Willmot and Stewart and expanded upward by one floor in 1907, the Swiss Building is the oldest of a group of historic structures. It also is a pioneer among contemporary condominium conversions in the warehouse district.
Source: City of Winnipeg Committee on Planning and Community Services Minutes, December 8, 1986