Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Fort Rouge School

Address:120 Mayfair Place
Use:Education
Original Use:Education
Constructed:1953
Other Work:Additions in 1957 and 1989
Architects:Winnipeg School Division, In-house
Contractors:L.J. Gardiner Construction (1953)
L. Ducharme and Associates, Ltd. (1957)

Design Characteristics

Suburb:River-Osborne
  • An earlier Fort Rouge School, a grand old brick beauty, existed on this site from 1892 to 1953, when a small four-classroom elementary school replaced it, soon doubled in size in 1957
  • These older original sections of the present school are on the wets end and are best viewed from Mayfair Ave. in the front, but alterations have taken a toll and not much remains
  • When a large addition was made on the east end in 1989, the older parts were made over to match
  • In one and two storey volumes, the school orients towards its small yard on the west side.