Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

North Kildonan Mennonite Brethren Church

Address:1131 Roch Street
Use:Place of worship
Original Use:Place of worship
Constructed:1920
Other Work:1964, Education wing and entrance/foyer addition
Architects:Unknown

More Information

The original church, dating to 1920, featured a spare design with white-stucco cladding, flared buttressing (echoing the look of the English Arts & Crafts movement), and pointed neo-Gothic windows. The 1960s addition was two-fold, creating a new narthex and entry wing at the front of the older structure and an office and multi-use space off the rear of the existing church. Both of these are generally modern in character, clad in dark brown brick, with interest created through the use of a peaked entry portal.

Design Characteristics

Suburb:Rossmere-A
  • Original church finished in white stucco, with gable roof and peaked coloured glass windows
  • The two later flat roofed additions are finished in a deep brown brick
  • West facing addition features a parabolic arched entrance with a recessed space clad in verticle wood siding
  • Period light fixtures, in groups of three, bracket the entrance