|Address:||113 Market Avenue|
|Architects:||William Wallis Blair|
The Great West Saddlery Building, a six-storey reinforced concrete, brick and stone structure (1910-11) with a one-storey annex (1929), occupies a corner site near the northeastern edge of Winnipeg's historic Exchange District. The City of Winnipeg designation applies to the building on its footprint.
The Great West Saddlery Building, a restrained Chicago School structure with modest classical ornamentation, recalls a significant corporate force in pioneer efforts to expand Winnipeg's manufacturing capacity and marketing reach at the turn of the twentieth century. The solid, utilitarian factory-warehouse was built for E.F. Hutchings, a storied local business leader who parlayed a small partnership of the 1870s into one of Canada's most successful, vertically integrated saddlery enterprises with facilities across the West and international export markets. The building, designed by W.W. Blair to carry heavy production machinery and stored goods, was strategically located next to a railway spur track and across the street from another Great West Saddlery Co. facility. It retains much of its exterior integrity and also is significant as an early example of a warehouse conversion to multiple-family housing in the Exchange District National Historic Site of Canada.
Source: City of Winnipeg Committee on Environment Minutes, November 18, 1985
For additional information: