|Address:||1039 Princess Avenue,Brandon|
|Other Work:||1957 addition by Green Blankstein Russell|
|Architects:||William Henderson Shillinglaw,|
Green Blankstein Russell and Associates
The Federal Building is a good example of the Beaux-Arts Classical style used for major public institutions at this time. The materials used on the exterior and the standards of workmanship are of superior quality. In contrast to standard procedures of the time, the Federal Building was not a project of the Chief Architect’s Office of the Department of Public Works. A local architect, William Henderson Shillinglaw, designed the building. It is one of the finest examples of his work.
A 1957 addition by modernist architects Green Blankstein Russell (GBR) respected the original building through height and the use of Manitoba Tyndall limestone. The 1957 design is without ornamentation. The facade is designed in a grid pattern with aluminum divisions and many ribbon windows.